This section helps you prepare for your operation and tells
you what to expect while in hospital and after your operation.
You will normally be in hospital for between 2 and 7 days
(1 day for a surgical biopsy). After you leave hospital, it
is normally sensible to take a week or two off.
You can have surgery in a public or private hospital. Often
you can get an operation more quickly in a private hospital.
- Decide what you want to tell people about your operation
- Arrange for time off work after your operation
- Take one or two nice nightgowns with you - you will feel
better after the operation
- Ensure you have your Medicare card and private health
- Speak to your surgeon beforehand so you know when he will
be visiting you
- Ensure you follow instructions on fasting etc.
- Take some good books and magazines, you might be waiting
around for tests etc.
You may find our recovery
action plan helpful after the operation.